Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO)
FTA administers a national transit safety program and program compliance oversight process to advance safe, reliable, and equitable transit service throughout the U.S. FTA’s Office of Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO) helps make transit safer through policy development, hazard investigation, data collection, risk analysis, oversight programs and information sharing.
- The October 2021 TSO Spotlight Newsletter is now available.
- FTA announced a Request for Information soliciting public input on potential transit worker safety mitigations in two areas: rail transit roadway worker protection and transit worker assault prevention. The deadline to submit comments is November 23, 2021.
- FTA published new Bus and Rail Safety Data Reports. The reports provide a snapshot of transit industry safety performance from 2007–2018 for rail and 2008–2018 for bus and focus on patterns and trends in events, fatalities and injuries.
- On September 28 and 29, 2021, TSO leadership presented at the 19th FTA Biennial State Programs Meeting and State Public Transportation Partnerships Conference. Missed it? View the presentations.
- FTA announced 100 percent of applicable transit agencies and states now have Public Transportation Agency Safety Plans.
- FTA announced the Enhanced Transit Safety and Crime Prevention Initiative.
- FTA Supplemental Oversight Dear Colleague Letter
Information About COVID-19
- Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)