Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO)
FTA administers a national transit safety program and program compliance oversight process to advance safe, reliable, and equitable transit service throughout the U.S. FTA’s Office of Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO) helps make transit safer through policy development, hazard investigation, data collection, risk analysis, oversight programs and information sharing.
- On May 10, 2021, FTA issued letters to State Department of Transportation Secretaries and transit agency CEOs to remind them of the requirements of the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) regulation.
- Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- FTA Supplemental Oversight Dear Colleague Letter
- Federal Mask Requirement for Transit
- Transit COVID-19 Response Program Information Collection
- COVID-19 Recovery Practices in Transit
- FTA has issued a Notice of Enforcement Discretion extending the PTASP compliance deadline from July 20, 2020 to July 20, 2021.
- FTA has issued a Notice of Enforcement Discretion extending the PTSCTP compliance deadline to August 20, 2022.
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Listening Sessions
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Discussion Forum
- Frequently Asked Questions from FTA Grantees Regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- FTA COVID-19 Resource Tool
- USDOT Guidance on Compliance with DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations (3-23-2020)
- USDOT COVID-19 Drug & Alcohol Testing Statement of Enforcement Discretion for Substance Abuse Professionals and Service Agents (4-4-2020)
- In February 2020, FTA Acting Administrator K. Jane Williams sent a letter to transit agency leaders to build awareness in the fight against human trafficking and increase support of the “100 Pledges in 100 Days” campaign.
- The April 2021 issue of the Transit Safety and Oversight Spotlight newsletter is now available.
- Learn more about our Organization Structure
- Learn more about our Office Leadership
- Learn more about our Program Offices:
- Learn more about FTA's WMATA Safety Oversight
- Learn more about TSO through the TSO Spotlight Newsletter