Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO)
FTA administers a national transit safety program and program compliance oversight process to advance safe, reliable, and equitable transit service throughout the U.S. FTA’s Office of Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO) helps make transit safer through policy development, hazard investigation, data collection, risk analysis, oversight programs and information sharing.
- Information about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Listening Sessions
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Discussion Forum
- Frequently Asked Questions from FTA Grantees Regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- FTA COVID-19 Resource Tool
- USDOT Guidance on Compliance with DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations (3-23-2020)
- USDOT COVID-19 Drug & Alcohol Testing Statement of Enforcement Discretion for Substance Abuse Professionals and Service Agents (4-4-2020)
- Register for FTA's 2020 Joint State Safety Oversight (SSO) and Rail Transit Agency (RTA) Virtual Workshop.
- The virtual workshop is from Tuesday, October 6 to Thursday, October 8, 2020 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM EDT.
- The virtual workshop is open to SSO and RTA staff, SSO Program Managers and any support and contract staff with an active contract. RTA Chief Safety Officers, Safety Directors, and other program offices, and contract staff with an active contract that collaborate with the safety office are also encouraged to attend.
- FTA has issued a Notice of Enforcement Discretion effectively extending the PTASP compliance deadline from July 20, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
- In February 2020, FTA Acting Administrator K. Jane Williams sent a letter to transit agency leaders to build awareness in the fight against human trafficking and increase support of the “100 Pledges in 100 Days” campaign.
- The September 2020 issue of the Transit Safety and Oversight Spotlight newsletter is now available.
- Learn more about our Organization Structure
- Learn more about our Office Leadership
- Learn more about our Program Offices:
- Learn more about FTA's WMATA Safety Oversight
- Learn more about TSO through the TSO Spotlight Newsletter