In its role of providing financial assistance to develop new transit systems and improve, maintain, and operate existing systems nationwide, FTA oversees thousands of grants provided to states, tribes, and local public agencies to support public transportation. Grantees have a responsibility to comply with statutory and regulatory requirements associated with the management of federally assisted grants.
FTA monitors grants and federally funded projects to confirm that grantees establish and follow federally mandated procedures, such as:
- Demonstrating legal, financial, and technical capacity to carry out programs and projects
- Providing technical inspection and supervision by qualified professionals of all work in progress
- Ensuring compliance with procurement requirements, including the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards
- Complying with all applicable civil rights statutes and implementing regulations
- Complying with applicable safety and asset management