2020 Census: Resources and Information
FTA bases annual apportionments for transit formula funding on U.S. Census data, which the U.S. Census Bureau publishes every 10 years. The 2020 Census urban area delineations can have substantial impacts to FTA grant recipients. The effects of the new Census boundaries will be reflected in FTA’s FY 2024 apportionments. FY 2023 apportionments will be unaffected.
- On February 17, FTA updated the Crosswalk of Census changes to reflect a Census Bureau revision combining the San Francisco—Oakland, CA and San Rafael—Novato, CA urban areas.
- In January 2023, FTA published a Crosswalk and Map of 2020 Census UZA changes. The Crosswalk table compares 2020 and 2010 Census data for Urbanized Areas. The map includes both 2020 and 2010 Census data and contains designated Urban Areas, NTD Reporters, and other relevant information.
- On December 29, 2022, the Census Bureau announced final urban areas based on the 2020 Census in the Federal Register.
- Joint FTA-FHWA Webinar focused on planning implications of 2020 Census: Summer 2023
2020 Census Changes
- Crosswalk of 2020 Census Changes UZA/Population – Identifies changes to Urbanized Areas from 2010 to 2020 that are relevant to FTA programs.
- FTA Census Map - Allows for geographic visualization of Urban Area changes from 2010 to 2020 and includes other relevant information to evaluate potential impacts.
- FTA Census Map Access Guide – Instructions to use the FTA Census Map tool.
FTA Program Requirements
- Notable FTA Program Requirement Changes from 2020 Census – Select program requirement differences between FTA formula funding tiers.
- 2020 Census Impacts to FTA Eligible Activities and Appropriations –Changes to FTA formula program eligible activities and apportionments based on 2020 Census changes.
- FTA Recipients and Formula Factors Table – Identifies recipients and formula factors by FTA formula program
- Additional FTA Program Requirement Resources – Links that provide more complete information on program requirements for FTA grant recipients.
National Transit Database
- NTD 2020 Census Updates for Report Year 2022 for Urban Reporters
- NTD 2020 Census Updates for Report Year 2022 for Rural Reporters
- NTD Census Page – National Transit Database resources and FAQs related to the decennial census.
- FTA 2020 Census Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs regarding the 2020 Census and its implications for FTA recipients.
- Webinar Series
- Webinar 1: May 10, 2022; Census 2020: Impacts on Transit
- Webinar 2: February 9, 2023; 2020 Census and Impacts for FTA Funding Recipients.
Other Federal Resources
- 2020 Census Urban Areas FAQs
- 2020 Census Bureau Urban and Rural Classification page
- 2020 Census Shapefiles
- Federal Register Notice of 2020 Census Qualifying Urban Areas and Final Criteria Clarifications
Federal Highway Administration
Last updated: Tuesday, February 21, 2023