Real Estate Information
FTA is committed to ensuring that FTA grant recipients comply with all laws, regulations, and agency guidance related to the acquisition of real property for use on federally-supported transit projects. FTA recipients must ensure all private property owners are treated fairly, consistently, and equitably throughout the real property acquisition process. Below are references and resources related to real property acquisition for property owners and occupants, transit agency staff, and other real property acquisition professionals.
Legislation and Regulation
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition for Federal and Federally-Assisted Programs
- FTA Circular 5010.1E – Revised July, 16, 2018
- Uniform Act Frequently Asked Questions – Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Real Estate Acquisition Management Plan (RAMP) Outline
These checklists provide FTA recipients and project sponsors with tools for preparing and organizing real property acquisition files. These checklists may be used or modified as needed to ensure project sponsors have adequately documented their acquisition files to demonstrate compliance with Uniform Act (49 CFR part 24) requirements. These are voluntary tools for FTA recipient use, and is not required to be included in project acquisition files.
- Request for FTA Real Estate Concurrence Transmittal Checklist
- General Acquisition and Relocation Information Brochure
- Acquisition File Documentation Checklist
- Residential Relocation File Documentation Checklist
- Non-Residential Relocation File Documentation Checklist
These forms have been developed for use by FTA and its contractors. FTA will use these standard file evaluation forms when performing audits, process reviews, or spot checks of a project sponsor's acquisition files. These forms will help project sponsors to ensure acquisition files contain adequate documentation to demonstrate compliance with Uniform Act (49 CFR part 24) requirements.
- Acquisition File Evaluation Form
- Residential Relocation File Evaluation Form
- Non-Residential Relocation File Evaluation Form
FRA/FTA MULTIMODAL-FUNDED PROJECTS
Applicable to all joint rail and transit projects funded in part by both the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) federal assistance programs (Multimodal-Funded Projects). The Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) incorporates provisions of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act of 2021 and relies on the most current regulations and guidance regarding federal railroad and federal public transportation program oversight as of the date of publication. Users of this SOP are encouraged to also review the accompanying FAQ’s.
- Introduction to Right-of-Way Requirements and the Uniform Act
- National Transit Institute
- National Highway Institute
- International Right of Way Association
Appraisal Scope of Work
The Guide for Preparing an Appraisal Scope of Work, as found in FTA's Circular 5010, is a written set of expectations that form an agreement or understanding between the appraiser and the recipient as to the specific requirements of the appraisal. This results in a report to be delivered to the recipient by the appraiser.