Drug & Alcohol Program
The Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991 mandated the Secretary of Transportation to issue regulations to combat prohibited drug use and alcohol misuse in the transportation industry. For that portion of the transportation industry has to do with the provision of and service to the public of mass transportation, FTA is the agency delegated with the authority and responsibility for issuing these implementing rules. These rules are encompassed in 49 CFR Part 655, Prevention of Alcohol Misuse and Prohibited Drug Use in Transit Operations.
Tools and Resources
This video describes the effects and consequences of prohibited drug use on personal health, safety and the work environment, and on the signs and symptoms that may indicate prohibited drug use. This video meets the 60-minute training requirement of section 655.14(b)(1) for covered employees.
- Shared Mobility Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 5310 Funding FAQs
- USDOT COVID-19 Drug & Alcohol Testing Statement of Enforcement Discretion for Substance Abuse Professionals and Service Agents (06-30-2022)
- Access more Tools and Resources
Legislation and Regulations
- Prevention of Alcohol Misuse and Prohibited Drug Use in Transit Operations - CY2022 Drug & Alcohol Testing Rates (10-26-2021)
- Final Rule (4/23/2019)
- Final Rule (Effective 1/1/2018)
- Legislation and Regulation Updates
Regulation Update Newsletters
- March 2022 Drug & Alcohol Regulation Newsletter
- Access all Drug & Alcohol Regulation Update Newsletters
Drug & Alcohol MIS Reporting
- 2020 Annual MIS Report Brochure
- Submit your 2021 FTA Drug & Alcohol MIS results online: Drug & Alcohol MIS Reporting
Drug & Alcohol Training
- For questions regarding the FTA Drug &Alcohol Program, please contact the FTA Drug & Alcohol hotline at 617-494-6336 or FTA.DAMIS@DOT.GOV.
- Receive Technical Assistance
Drug & Alcohol Publications
- Access the Drug & Alcohol Publications