- FTA has published a Transit Bus Automation Market Assessment that communicates the current availability, capabilities, and limitations of automated transit bus technologies and systems at all automation levels. The report aims to inform transit agencies and other transit industry stakeholders interested in understanding the current transit bus automation market.
- As the transit industry explores the use of automated transit buses, many stakeholders have questions about the impact of new technologies on transit agencies, employees, riders, and the general public. See our frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- Applications for FTA Integrated Mobility Innovation (IMI) Program funding are under review. FTA’s 2019 IMI funding provides $15 million for innovative transit demonstration projects, including demonstrations of automated advanced driver assistance systems for transit buses and automated shuttles. Grant recipients will be announced shortly.
- Subscribe to Transit Vehicle Automation as part of FTA's email updates to stay up to date with FTA’s transit automation research program.
Advancements in technology are rapidly transforming the transportation system and provide potential to improve transit systems. FTA’s Office of Research, Demonstration and Innovation is exploring the use of vehicle automation technologies in bus transit operations by:
- Conducting research to achieve safe and effective transit automation deployments
- Identifying and resolving barriers to transit automation deployment
- Leveraging technologies from other sectors to advance the transit automation industry
- Demonstrating market-ready technologies in real-world settings
- Transferring knowledge to the transit stakeholder community
- To support the development and deployment of automated bus transit services, FTA has developed a five-year Strategic Transit Automation Research (STAR) Plan that outlines FTA’s research agenda on automation technologies. The plan, which is built upon extensive stakeholder consultation and use case analysis and is informed by a rigorous literature review, will run through 2022.
For more information on FTA’s transit automation research program, sign up for email updates.