- Apply for FTA Integrated Mobility Innovation (IMI) Program funding by August 6, 2019. FTA’s 2019 IMI funding provides $15 million for innovative transit demonstration projects, including demonstrations of automated advanced driver assistance systems for transit buses and automated shuttles.
- Subscribe to Transit Vehicle Automation as part of FTA's email updates to stay up to date with FTA’s transit automation research program.
Advancements in technology are rapidly transforming the transportation system and provide potential to improve transit systems. FTA’s Office of Research, Demonstration and Innovation is exploring the use of vehicle automation technologies in bus transit operations by:
- Conducting research to achieve safe and effective transit automation deployments
- Identifying and resolving barriers to transit automation deployment
- Leveraging technologies from other sectors to advance the transit automation industry
- Demonstrating market-ready technologies in real-world settings
- Transferring knowledge to the transit stakeholder community
- To support the development and deployment of automated bus transit services, FTA has developed a five-year Strategic Transit Automation Research (STAR) Plan that outlines FTA’s research agenda on automation technologies. The plan, which is built upon extensive stakeholder consultation and use case analysis and is informed by a rigorous literature review, will run through 2022.
For more information on FTA’s transit automation research program, sign up for email updates.