Mobility, Access & Transportation Insecurity: Creating Links to Opportunity Research and Demonstration Program
- On August 9, 2022, FTA announced a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) to solicit proposals for an organization to lead the Mobility, Access & Transportation Insecurity: Creating Links to Opportunity Demonstration Research program. The NOFO makes $6 million available in Fiscal Year 2021 funds. Project proposals were due October 11, 2022.
- FTA hosted a webinar for potential applicants on August 24, 2022. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are posted here.
The Mobility, Access & Transportation Insecurity: Creating Links to Opportunity Research and Demonstration program lead will support FTA in establishing an initiative to explore strategies to improve people’s mobility and access to daily needs and evaluate outcomes and impacts upon individuals and communities. FTA’s efforts aim to support an equitable, integrated transportation system that meets transportation needs for low-income individuals and/or communities of need.
All activities leading to the establishment of a research and demonstration program that will explore interventions to ensure mobility access and evaluate outcomes and impacts. Eligible activities include:
- data collection
- transportation feasibility study and analysis
- economic analysis
- stakeholder engagement and outreach
- obtaining necessary equipment and services
- acquiring or developing software and hardware interfaces to implement the project
- performance measurement and evaluation
Eligible demonstrations must target low-income people and communities that routinely experience a lack of reliable transportation. All demonstrations should share similar characteristics of target population, urban context, and availability of public transportation resources. Eligible research demonstration activities include:
- planning, engineering, or development of technical or financing plans
- public engagement and participant recruitment
- capital or operating expenses serving the treatment group
- technology application
- similar necessary components to design and select demonstrations.
Eligible applicants include:
- Departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the government, including federal laboratories
- Institutions of higher education including research universities, particularly those with minority-serving institution status
- Non-profit organizations
- For-profit organizations
- Technical and community colleges
Eligible applicants may also identify one or more partners with substantial expertise, interest, and involvement in the proposed effort.
FTA's Public Transportation Innovation Program (49 U.S.C. 5312) supports research and demonstrations to develop and deploy ideas, practices and approaches that advance the interests of public transportation. This NOFO (Federal Assistance Listing: 20.530) was developed to establish a research demonstration program to explore interventions toa ensure mobility access and evaluate outcomes and impacts upon individuals and communities, pursuant to that authority.
Allocation of Funding
The Mobility, Access & Transportation Insecurity: Creating Links to Opportunity Demonstration Research Program is funded under FTA’s Research, Development, Demonstration and Deployment program authority.
As permitted under 49 U.S.C. § 5312, given the substantial public interest of conducting research of national significance to inform public policy, the federal share may be up to 100 percent.