American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARP), which President Biden signed on March 11, 2021, includes $30.5 billion in federal funding to support the nation’s public transportation systems as they continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and support the President’s call to vaccinate the U.S. population.
The relief funds will be distributed as follows, at 100-percent federal share:
- $26.6 billion to be allocated by statutory formulas to urbanized and rural areas and tribal governments
- $2.2 billion to FTA grant recipients in communities that demonstrate additional pandemic-associated needs.
- $1.675 billion for projects in the Capital Investment Grants (CIG) Program
- $50 million under the Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities formula program
- $25 million for competitive planning grants
- $5 million for competitive tribal grants
See FTA’s American Rescue Plan Act Fact Sheet.
American Rescue Plan Webinar
FTA hosted an American Recue Plan Act webinar for the public transportation industry on April 2, 2021. The webinar provided an overview of the program, described eligibility requirements and allowed an opportunity to ask questions.
American Rescue Plan Act Apportionments
ARP funding will be disbursed through FTA apportionments to its Urbanized Area, Rural Formula, Tribal Transit and Enhanced Mobility of Older Adults and Individuals with Disabilities programs.