Route Planning Restoration Program
- On Tuesday, September 14, FTA announced the FY21 Notice of Funding Opportunity for the Route Planning Restoration Program.
- FTA hosted a webinar on the funding opportunity on October 6, 2021. The webinar provided information and an overview of the Route Planning Restoration Program.
View the presentation
The Route Planning Restoration Program provides funds under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 for public transportation planning associated with the restoration of transit service reduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Route Planning Restoration Program advances President Biden’s administrative priorities and Executive Order 13985: Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government and Executive Order 13990: Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle Climate Crisis by planning for the restoration of transit service, particularly for underserved populations, with a focus on improving equity. The program will advance Executive Order 14008: Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad by supporting the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and more efficient transit service.
Section - Eligible Activities
- FTA will competitively award grants to undertake transit route planning activities that are designed to:
- increase ridership and reduce travel times, while maintaining or expanding the total level of vehicle revenue miles of service provided in the planning period; or make service adjustments to increase the quality or frequency of service provided to low-income riders and disadvantaged neighborhoods or communities.
Applicants should reference FTA Circular 8100-1D - Program Guidance for Metropolitan Planning and State Planning and Research Program Grants and FTA Circular 9030.1E - Urbanized Area Formula Program: Program Guidance and Application Instructions.
Applicants must be eligible recipients under Section 5307 of Title 49, United States Code (FTA’s Urbanized Area Formula Grants program), as of the publication date of the Route Planning Restoration Program Notice of Funding Opportunity on GRANTS.GOV. Additionally, applicants must have experienced a reduction in transit service any time on or after January 20, 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Urbanized Area Formula Grants (49 U.S.C. § 5307)
- The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (Public Law No. 117-2, March 11, 2021)
There is no local match requirement as the minimum federal share for this program is 100 percent.