- On July 11, 2018, FTA issued a Notice of Funding Opportunity for approximately $5 million in fiscal year 2018 competitive grant funding for the Tribal Transit Program. FTA requires that all project proposals be submitted electronically through Grants.gov by 11:59 p.m. EDT Monday, September 10.
- On August 8, 2018, FTA hosted a webinar on how to apply for the FY 2018 Tribal Transit Discretionary Program. View the presentation.
Section 5311(j) of the FAST Act, Public Law 114-94 (December 4, 2015), authorizes the Public Transportation on Indian Reservations Program (Tribal Transit Program (TTP)) for Fiscal Years (FY) 2016-2020. The TTP continues to be a set-aside from the Formula Grants for Rural Areas program but now consists of a $30 million formula program and a $5 million competitive grant program subject to the availability of appropriations. A 10-percent local match is required under the competitive program, however, there is no local match required under the formula program.
Only federally recognized tribes are eligible recipients under the Tribal Transit Program. However, tribes which are not federally recognized remain eligible to apply to the state as a subrecipient for funding under the State's apportionment.
Federally recognized tribes may use the funding for capital, operating, planning, and administrative expenses for public transit projects that meet the growing needs of rural tribal communities. Examples of eligible activities include: capital projects; operating costs of equipment and facilities for use in public transportation; and the acquisition of public transportation services, including service agreements with private providers of public transportation services. A description of eligible activities can also be found in the May 9, 2013 Notice of Funding Availability: Solicitation of Grant Applications for FY 2013 Tribal Transit Program Funds; and Responses to the November 9, 2012 Solicitation of Comments Federal Register Notice.
FTA Regional Tribal Liaisons
Region 1: Sergio Coronado
Region 2: James Goveia
Region 4: Valencia Williams
Region 5: Angelica Salgado
Region 6: Luciana Nears, Lynn Hayes
Region 7: Logan Daniels
Region 8: Jennifer Stewart
Region 9: Philis Yue
Region 10: Kristine McGuill
(Note: Region 3 does not have a Tribal Liaison)
- Solicitation of Project Proposals: Public Transportation on Indian Reservations Program (FY17)
- FY17 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) (January 2017 Federal Register Notice)
- Fiscal Year 2016 Project Selections
- Table 1-FY 14-15 Discretionary Projects with Earmark IDs
- Fiscal Year 2014-15 Discretionary Projects
- Fiscal Year 2014 Formula Funding Allocation Notice
- Fiscal Year 2013 Discretionary Projects
- Fiscal Year 2013 Formula Funding Allocation Notice