Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act provides emergency assistance and health care response for individuals, families and businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Support for Public Transportation
FTA is allocating $25 billion to recipients of urbanized area and rural area formula funds, with $22.7 billion to large and small urban areas and $2.2 billion to rural areas. Funding will be provided at a 100-percent federal share, with no local match required, and will be available to support capital, operating, and other expenses generally eligible under those programs to prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19.
Operating expenses incurred beginning on January 20, 2020 for all rural and urban recipients, even those in large urban areas, are also eligible, including operating expenses to maintain transit services as well as paying for administrative leave for transit personnel due to reduced operations during an emergency.
- Learn more in FTA's Frequently Asked Questions
- See the press release
- See FTA's COVID-19 landing page
- Comparison of FTA Emergency Relief with Appropriated Urbanized Area Formula (Section 5307) & Rural Area Formula (Section 5311) CARES Act Funds
CARES funding will be disbursed through FTA apportionments to its Urbanized Area (Section 5307) and Rural Formula (Section 5311) programs.
- CARES Act Overview for the Public Transportation Industry: Monday, April 6, 2020
- Please note that some of the information provided in this recording has changed. For specific changes, please review the Presentation slides or the Transcript.