FTA Ferry Programs
- On May 18, 2023, FTA announced approximately $220 million available for Fiscal Year 2023 funding to improve and expand ferry service in communities across the country to help people connect to jobs and opportunity. View the notice of funding opportunity.
- On January 26, 2023, FTA announced $384.4 million in grant awards to 23 projects in 11 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to expand and improve the nation’s ferry service, as well as accelerate the transition to zero emission transportation. The funding will benefit millions of Americans who depend on coastal waters, rivers, bays, and other bodies of water to connect to their communities. Increased funding from the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will help replace old vessels, expand fleets, and build new terminals and docks, as well as boost service in rural areas and support the transition to low and zero-emission technologies.
- Funding includes:
- $34.4 million to projects under the Passenger Ferry Grant program to 8 projects in 6 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- $97.6 million to projects under the Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot program to 7 projects in 7 states.
- $252.4 million to projects under the Ferry Service for Rural Communities program to 8 projects in 4 states.
Passenger Ferry Grant Program – Section 5307(h)
The Passenger Ferry Grant Program makes funding available competitively to assist in the financing of capital projects to support passenger ferry systems in urbanized areas, such as ferry vessels, terminals, and related infrastructure. For Fiscal Year 2023, $50.1 million is available, of which $5 million is set -aside specifically for low- or zero-emission ferries and related facilities/equipment.
Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot Program - IIJA § 71102
Earlier this year, FTA announced $384.4 million in project selections through its Ferry Grant Programs, with $97.6 million in funding going toward the The Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot Program In January 2023, FTA awarded $97.6 million using Fiscal Year 2022 and 2023 funds from the Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot Program to 7 projects in 7 states.
Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program - IIJA § 71103
The Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program provides competitive funding to States to ensure basic essential ferry service is provided to rural areas. For Fiscal Year 2023, $170 million is available in grant funding.