FTA Ferry Programs
- On January 26, 2023, FTA announced $384.4 million in grant awards to 23 projects in 11 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to expand and improve the nation’s ferry service, as well as accelerate the transition to zero emission transportation. The funding will benefit millions of Americans who depend on coastal waters, rivers, bays, and other bodies of water to connect to their communities. Increased funding from the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will help replace old vessels, expand fleets, and build new terminals and docks, as well as boost service in rural areas and support the transition to low and zero-emission technologies.
- Funding includes:
- $34.4 million to projects under the Passenger Ferry Grant program to 8 projects in 6 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- $97.6 million to projects under the Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot program to 7 projects in 7 states.
- $252.4 million to projects under the Ferry Service for Rural Communities program to 8 projects in 4 states.
- On July 8, 2022, FTA announced approximately $294.5 million available for Fiscal Year 2022 funding to improve and expand ferry service in communities across the country to help people connect to jobs and opportunity. View the notice of funding opportunity. Webinar dates, slide presentation, and links to a recording of each event is near the bottom of that page.
Passenger Ferry Grant Program – Section 5307(h)
The Passenger Ferry Grant Program makes funding available competitively to assist in the financing of capital projects to support passenger ferry systems in urbanized areas, such as ferry vessels, terminals, and related infrastructure. For FY 2022, $30 million for grants under the program was authorized under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) and an additional $6.5 million was appropriated under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022 of which $3.25 million is for low or zero-emission ferries projects.
Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot Program - IIJA § 71102
The Electric or Low-Emitting Ferry Pilot Program provides competitive funding for projects that support the purchase of electric or low-emitting ferries and the electrification of or other reduction of emissions from existing ferries. For FY 2022, $49 million for grants under the program.
Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program - IIJA § 71103
The Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program provides competitive funding to States to ensure basic essential ferry service is provided to rural areas. For FY 2022, $196 million for grants under the program is authorized and appropriated under BIL and an additional $12,965,000 was appropriated under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2022.