Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program - IIJA § 71103
- On May 18, 2023, FTA announced approximately $220 million available for Fiscal Year 2023 funding to improve and expand ferry service in communities across the country to help people connect to jobs and opportunity. View the notice of funding opportunity. For Fiscal Year 2023, $170 million is available under the Ferry Services for Rural Communities Program.
- On January 26, 2023, FTA announced $384.4 million in grant awards to 23 projects in 11 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to expand and improve the nation’s ferry service, as well as accelerate the transition to zero emission transportation. The funding will benefit millions of Americans who depend on coastal waters, rivers, bays, and other bodies of water to connect to their communities. Increased funding from the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will help replace old vessels, expand fleets, and build new terminals and docks, as well as boost service in rural areas and support the transition to low and zero-emission technologies.
- FTA awarded $252.4 million under the FY22-23 Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program to 8 projects in 4 states
The Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program provides competitive funding to states to ensure basic essential ferry service is provided to rural areas.
Eligible activities include capital, planning, and operating assistance for a ferry service that operated a regular schedule at any time during the five-year period ending March 1, 2020 and served not less than two rural areas located more than 50 sailing miles apart. Funding is also available for ferry service that serves at least two rural areas with a single segment over 20 miles between two rural areas that is not otherwise eligible for funding under the Passenger Ferry Program.
- The maximum Federal share for capital and planning projects selected under the FY 2022 Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program is 80 percent of the net project cost. The maximum Federal share for operating projects selected under the FY 2022 Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program is 50 percent.
- The maximum Federal share for capital projects selected under the FY 2023 Ferry Service for Rural Communities Program is 80 percent of the net project cost with some exceptions described in the NOFO. The maximum Federal share for planning projects selected under the FY 2023 Rural Ferry Program is 80 percent.
- There is no maximum Federal share for operating projects selected under the Rural Ferry Program for FY 2023.
IIJA § 71103