The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity and access for persons with disabilities.
The Federal Transit Administration works to ensure nondiscriminatory transportation in support of our mission to enhance the social and economic quality of life for all Americans. The FTA Office of Civil Rights is responsible for civil rights compliance and monitoring to ensure nondiscriminatory provision of public transit services.
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Guidance (PDF)
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Guidance (Word version)
- ADA Circular press release
- FTA Acting Administrator Therese McMillan statement
- FTA ADA Circular Fact Sheet (PDF)
- ADA Circular training series
DOT Legal Opinion on Facility Alterations
ADA Dear Colleague Letters
ADA Final Rule on Reasonable Modification
- Parts 27 and 37--Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities; Reasonable Modification of Policies and Practices (PDF)
- Part 27--Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in Programs or Activities Receiving Federal Financial Assistance
- Part 37--Transportation Services for Individuals with Disabilities
- Part 38--Accessibility Specifications for Transportation Vehicles
- Part 39--Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities: Passenger Vessels