Federal Share / Local Match
To determine acceptable sources of local match, please refer to specific program information in FTA Circulars, or Notices of Apportionments or Notices of Funding Opportunities in the Federal Register.
In general, FTA grants funding for:
- Capital activities - typically (see additional discussion below) 80% federal / 20% local
- Operating expenses (where and when allowed) - 50% federal / 50% local
- State Administration - 100% federal at a capped amount
Variances in federal share and local match requirements may be allowed per:
- FTA program and activities. For example, funding provided by:
- CARES Act and FTA's Emergency Relief Program to respond to COVID-19 - 100% federal
- Tribal Transit Program - TTP formula 100% federal; TTP competitive 90% to 100% federal
- Sliding Scale Federal Share Rates for Federal Lands states, available in:
- "flexible funds" transfers from FHWA
- FTA 5310 and 5311 grants
- Planning grants in which FTA and FHWA funding is consolidated for ease of administration.
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or the Clean Air Act:
- Vehicles - 85% federal / 15% local, per 49 U.S.C. 5323(i)(1)(A)
- Vehicle-related equipment or facilities - 90% federal / 10% local, per 49 U.S.C. 5323(i)(1)(B)
Disclaimer: The contents of this document do not have the force and effect of law and are not meant to bind the public in any way. This document is intended only to provide clarity to the public regarding existing requirements under the law or agency policies.