The Oversight Tracking System (OTrak)
The Oversight Tracking System (OTrak) is FTA’s official system of record for program oversight data for FTA staff, contractors and recipients. FTA is modernizing OTrak from a database to a workflow management system, which will improve efficiencies by incorporating the management of all oversight activities in one system and integrating data from the National Transit Database (NTD) and Transit Award Management System (TrAMS).
For the first time, FTA recipients will have access to the system to view reports and submit information directly to FTA. This includes uploading information request responses, submitting corrective actions, and viewing and downloading oversight reports.
FTA developed Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to assist recipients with the latest information for the new system. These are listed below and will be updated as needed as the project moves closer to completion.
Questions? Contact David Schilling, Division Chief, Performance Analysis and Quality Assurance, Office of Program Oversight, (202) 366-4442.
Frequently Asked Questions
General System Questions
1. What is the Oversight Tracking System (OTrak)?
A: OTrak is FTA’s official system of record for program oversight data for FTA staff, contractors and recipients.
2. When will OTrak go live for Recipients?
A: FTA is planning for Recipient use during the Federal Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 review cycle and anticipates the start of Recipient training in Summer 2021.
3. How will Recipients access OTrak?
A: OTrak is a web-based system which uses the same platform as the Transit Award Management System (TrAMS) and the National Transit Database (NTD), allowing data integration across multiple FTA systems. Recipients will access OTrak similarly to how TrAMS is accessed and a link to the application will be on FTA’s OTrak webpage, at https://www.transit.dot.gov/OTrak. OTrak will have the same look and feel as TrAMS and NTD but is a separate application.
4. Will OTrak be used for specialized reviews, such as Procurement System Reviews, Civil Rights Reviews, etc.?
A: Yes, specialized reviews will be recorded and tracked in OTrak. Recipients will have access to final reports and will be able to upload corrective action closure justifications and documents to close findings.
5. Within OTrak, will both State Management Reviews (SMRs) and Triennial Reviews (TRs) be tracked and have similar functionality?
A: Yes, TRs and SMRs will be recorded and tracked in OTrak and the functionalities will be similar between the two review types. For Recipients required to have a combined TR/SMR, the functions will also be similar.
6. Will OTrak replace contractors’ file share platforms which are currently used to collect information from Recipients during reviews?
7. Will previous years’ Contractor Manuals be available to reference when reviewing previous TR reports or findings?
A: Once the Contractor Manual is incorporated into OTrak, it will be available for reference and can be downloaded. Once this functionality launches, the current and subsequent manuals will be available.
Recipient Profile and Information Requests
1. When will Recipients be able to complete the Recipient Information Request (RIR) within the system?
A: Recipients will begin uploading Federal FY 2022 RIR documents into the system in a “documents” folder in the respective review in the Fall/Winter of 2021. Please note, the RIR documents will be similar to what you are currently providing FTA. Instead of uploading these documents to a contractor’s site, you will be uploading them directly in OTrak.
1. Could OTrak be used as a tool for subrecipient monitoring/oversight reviews?
A: No, OTrak is not designed to be used for this purpose. Subrecipient oversight is the responsibly of each individual Recipient.
2. Can multiple Recipient users input information into OTrak?
A: Yes, multiple Recipient users will be able to input information. Recipient user(s) will need to certify the information requests and corrective action submissions to FTA.
1. What future outreach and trainings will be available?
A: There will be future demonstrations, training opportunities, and resources. Check the OTrak webpage for updates, at https://www.transit.dot.gov/OTrak. We plan to start Recipient training in the Summer of 2021 and be available at transit conferences and workshops over the coming year.
2. Will there be a user guide?
A: Yes, user guides will be developed and posted to the OTrak website once available.
3. Will an OTrak overview be included in the TR/SMR workshops?
A: Yes, the Federal FY 2021 workshops will provide some initial information regarding the new system and we plan to add more information as we launch the system. Other training opportunities will be available in the upcoming year and will be posted to FTA’s OTrak website, at https://www.transit.dot.gov/OTrak.
4. Where do we sign up for the TSO newsletter to receive OTrak updates?
A: You can sign up on the TSO newsletter website, at https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/safety/tso-spotlight-newsletter, by clicking “Sign Up for Updates” under Related Links on the left-hand side of the page.