Environmental and Sustainability Management Systems
FTA encourages project sponsors to minimize the impact of their operations and construction through environmentally sound practices. An Environmental and Sustainability Management System (ESMS) is a set of processes and practices that enables an organization to reduce its environmental impacts and increase operating efficiency. The environmental benefits of implementing an ESMS include the enhanced ability to analyze, control, and reduce environmental impacts, such as air emissions and oil in waste water, and an associated reduction in the number, type, and severity of compliance incidents. Additionally, transit agencies have reported business benefits, including more efficient and controlled operations, cost savings, and improved relationships with employees, regulators, systems users, and the general public.
ESMS Resources and Trainings
- FTA ESMS Resource Series:
- FTA Guidebook of Best Management Practices for the Development of an Environmental and Sustainability Management System (ESMS) (April 2021)
- Eight Steps to Identify Environmental Characteristics and Environmental Influences of Your Organization’s Operations (April 2021)
- Three Elements for Sustaining Your Environmental and Sustainability Management System (ESMS) (April 2021)
- The 'WHAT' and 'WHY' of an Environmental and Sustainability Management System (ESMS) (January 2021)
- Nine Steps to Starting a Successful Environmental and Sustainability Management System (August 2020)
- 5-Whys: Getting to the Root of the Problem (December 2020)
- FTA Recorded Webinars:
- FTA online, self-paced ESMS Introductory Online Course for transit agencies interested in understanding the fundamentals of an ESMS
FTA ESMS Training and Technical Assistance Program
FTA’s ESMS assistance program helps transit agencies develop and implement an ESMS at their facilities. Participants in the program receive training, on-site technical support visits, electronic materials and resources, and consultation to help develop an ESMS using standard 14001 of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Transit agencies from across the country have participated in the program, ranging from medium sized agencies with bus and paratransit services to agencies with large, complex operations including ferry services, heavy rail, commuter rail, and bus rapid transit.
Note: FTA is not currently accepting participants for in-person training or technical assistance under this program, but refer to this web page for future program updates.
Technical Assistance Final Reports
See the final reports below from each completed round of the program for more details about each participant’s ESMS and the benefits they achieved from implementing an ESMS: