Outstanding Achievement Award for Excellence in Environmental Document Preparation
The biennial FTA Outstanding Achievement Award for Excellence in Environmental Document Preparation seeks to promote efficient development of useful environmental documents. The award recognizes environmental documents that exemplify best practices for a well-managed environmental documentation process, comply with prevailing requirements and expectations, and achieve the objective of paperwork reduction.
FTA is accepting applications for its 2019 program through June 28.
FTA announced winners at the 2017 APTA Annual Meeting in October:
- Environmental Assessment: TramLink BR, City of Baton Rouge, LA
- Final Environmental Impact Statement: Federal Way Link Extension, King County, WA (Sound Transit)
Pictured: David Vozzolo (HDR), Nancy Houston (CH2M), FTA Acting Administrator K. Jane Williams and Mike Harbour (Sound Transit Deputy CEO)
FTA-funded project sponsors and their consultants are eligible to submit environmental impact statements and environmental assessments that meet the selection criteria.
The environmental documents submitted for the award are evaluated based on:
- Content – Are the content requirements of the NEPA implementing regulations and relevant guidance satisfied?
- Utility – Is the document designed to be truly useful to the public and decision-makers?
- Practicality – Have procedures to reduce paperwork and delay been effectively employed? (See 40 CFR §1500.4 and §1500.5 (PDF))
Please refer to Keys to Efficient Development of Useful Environmental Documents as a reference.
FTA, in cooperation with recognized experts in the field, evaluates submissions and determines award winners.
How to Apply
A project sponsor interested in applying should work with the FTA Regional Office in which the project is located. An eligible submission includes an electronic copy of the environmental document and a brief cover letter (no more than three pages) explaining how the document meets the selection criteria. Questions? Contact us at FTAEnvironmentalDocs@dot.gov