FTA administers a national transit safety program and program compliance oversight process to advance safe, reliable, and equitable transit service throughout the U.S. FTA’s Office of Transit Safety & Oversight (TSO) helps make transit safer through policy development, hazard investigation, data collection, risk analysis, oversight programs and information sharing.
- On July 19, 2018, FTA published the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) Final Rule, which requires operators of urban public transportation systems that receive federal funds to develop safety plans that include the processes and procedures to implement Safety Management Systems (SMS).
- FTA is working with states to meet an April 15, 2019 deadline to obtain federal certification of their rail transit State Safety Oversight (SSO) Programs.
- Read the November 2018 issue of the TSO Spotlight Newsletter
- The new Rail and Bus Safety Data Reports are available on FTA’s website. The reports represent data analysis prepared by FTA to illustrate rail and bus transit safety outcomes and present trends and patterns in safety event data.
- FTA Random Drug Rate Increase Information Session Webinar - 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, December 18 (registration required)
- Learn more about our Organization Structure
- Learn more about our Office Leadership
- Learn more about our Program Offices:
- Learn more about FTA's WMATA Safety Oversight
- Learn more about TSO through the TSO Spotlight Newsletter