What Is NEPA?
- Protection and Enhancement Quality, Executive Order 11514, as amended by Executive Order 11991: Executive Order clarifying the role of the CEQ and identifying the role of Federal agencies in implementing and enforcing NEPA.
- National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C 4321 et seq.): Federal law that mandates the consideration of environmental impacts before any Federal action likely to significantly affect the environment is undertaken and establishes the Environmental Impact Statement process.
- FHWA Environmental Impact and Related Procedures: 23 U.S.C 109 (h) , 49 U.S.C. 5301 (e) , 5323 (b) , 5324 (b).
Regulation/U.S. DOT Orders
- Regulations for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act: (40 C.F.R 1500-1508) Regulation promulgated by the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) to provide guidance to Federal agencies in implementing the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Environmental Impact and Related Procedures: (23 C.F.R 771) Federal regulation promulgated by the U.S. Department of Transportation to implement the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) with respect to transit and highway projects. The regulations define the specific procedures that must be followed by applicants for Federal transportation funding in order to meet NEPA requirements and qualify for Federal funds.
- Keys to Efficient Development of Useful Environmental Documents (PDF) (FTA 7/2007). This handbook is intended as a tool to assist in achieving compliance, utility, and practicality when preparing environmental documents.
- FTA Procedures for Distributing and Filing Environmental Impact Statements (FTA 8/2009). This note describes the procedures that FTA follows in filing and distributing draft, final, and supplemental environmental impact statements (EISs) with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and U.S. Department of Interior.
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Guidance on Scoping, Council on Environmental Quality: Guidance defining scoping, a process intended to get the lead and cooperating agencies and other interested groups together early in the project development process to determine the scope of the issues to be addressed, and identify important issues related to the proposed action.
- NEPA Guidance; 40 Questions: Guidance issued by CEQ to address frequently asked questions (FAQs) concerning NEPA implementation.
- Guidance Regarding NEPA Regulations: Guidance issued by CEQ to clarify NEPA implementation regulations.
- Considering Cumulative Effects Under the National Environmental Policy Act (PDF): Guidance issued by CEQ on methodologies for addressing cumulative impacts in the NEPA process.
- U.S. DOT Environmental Guidebook
- Categorical Exclusion Guidance (PDF) (11/04/2014)
- Summary of EPA Rating Definitions for Environmental Impact Statements (EISs)
- Administrative Records (FHWA Files Management and Records Disposition Manual 1/2000)
- CEQ Guidance Regarding NEPA Regulations
- Evaluating the Performance of Environmental Streamlining: Development of a NEPA Baseline for Measuring Continuous Performance (5/8/2001)
- Disputes Involving Environmental Reviews of Transportation Projects (10/15/2001)
Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2016