You are here

NTD Reporting - Frequently Asked Questions

Questions by Module

System Access and Functions






    Federal Funding Allocation


      Safety and Security

      Questions and Answers by Module

      System Access and Functions

      How do I submit the Annual Report?

      Only the users with CEO or CEO Delegate roles can submit the Original Submission. The NTD Contact can submit all subsequent revisions. If you are unsure of your user role, please contact your transit agency's assigned user manager.

      To submit the report, log in and select:

      • Records tab
      • NTD Report Packages
      • The current Report Year package
      • Related Actions (under the heading).
      • Submit Annual Report Package
      • Proceed and Continue through the process until you see a notification, "Action Completed Successfully".

      Note: Saving the D-10 CEO Certification form is not how you submit the report.

      Submit Annual Report Package

      How do I reset my password?

      To reset your password, please use the Forgot your password? link on the NTD login page. On that page, enter your username (email address) in all lowercase letters. The system will send you an email containing a link. Click on this link to create a new password. Please note that the link expires after 15 minutes.

      Forgot your password

      I'm a User Manager (UM) for my agency. What resources are available for me to learn User Manager responsibilities?

      Please reference the FACES User Guide found here.

      How do I change my role and/or someone else's role in the system?

      There are two ways to change roles:

      1) Select Records > Users > Search User > Select User Profile > Related Actions > Manage User Roles, and make the necessary changes.

      2) Select Records > NTD Reporter Profiles > Select User Profile > Related Actions > Manage Reporter Users (P-30). Then select the last name of the person you want to edit and navigate to Manage User Roles. 

      You must remove any previous roles before adding a new role, and you cannot change your own role.

      How can I add new users to the system?

      Your agency's User Manager(s) can add new users to the system. To do this, the User Manager navigates to the "Actions" tab, then selects Create New User.

      Create New User

      If your User Managers(s) are no longer with your agency, your agency's CEO can fill out the User Manager Designation Template to identify new users to fill that role. Your Validation Analyst can provide the template and will make the changes in the system after receiving the completed form.

      How do I apply for an extension for my Annual Report?

      Per the NTD Policy Manual, FTA may approve 30-day extensions for circumstances such as medical leave, natural disasters, and pending audits.

      To submit an extension, the CEO must log in and select:

      • Records tab
      • NTD Report Packages
      • The current Report Year package
      • Related Actions
      • Create Reporter Request

      Once on the "Reporter Request" screen, select "Extension Request" from the "Request Type" drop-down menu, then explain why you are unable to meet the deadline in the explanation field.

      Create Reporter Request

      I am able to log in but I can't access anything. What should I do?

      Your account is locked. The system will lock your account after 60 days of inactivity. After logging in, you can unlock your account by clicking "Actions" and then selecting "Unlock Account." From that page, either answer your security questions or submit a request to be unlocked. The request will be sent to your User Manager for approval. 

      Pages 61-66 of the FTA FACES User Guide found here depicts how an account becomes locked, how a user can self-unlock, as well as how a locked user would submit the unlock request in the system.


      How can I view/print a prior year's reports?

      There are two ways to view or print your reports: (1) by individual form, or (2) by the entire report all at once.

      (1) To view or print each form individually:

      • Navigate to the Records tab. 

      • Select My NTD Reporter Profile(s).

      • Select your agency's profile.

      • Click on Form Library (under the heading).

      • Select the closeout version from the "Report Package" drop-down menu.

      • From there you can click on each form individually to view or print.

      (2) To view or print the entire report all at once:

      • Navigate to the "Records" tab.

      • Click on link: My NTD Reporter Profile(s).

      • Select your agency's profile.

      • Click on Related Actions (under the heading).

      • Select Print Annual Package.

      • Select a report submission from the "Report Package" drop-down menu.

      • Click the Print button.

      It will take a few minutes to generate the HTML link that will allow you to view and print the report. After 20-30 seconds, click the "Refresh" button to return to the previous page (you may have to click on it more than once). When the site returns you to the previous page, you will see an HTML link right below the "Print Annual Forms" heading. This link will allow you to view or print the report in its entirety.

      This process works for any version (revision) of the report.

      What is the FTA Recipient ID?

      An FTA Recipient ID Number is a four-digit number assigned to your transit agency for the Transit Award Management System (TrAMS). If you are not a direct recipient, you should report the FTA Recipient ID of the agency from which you receive Federal funding.

      What is a DUNS number?

      A DUNS number is a nine-digit number assigned by Dun and Bradstreet. It is required for all businesses that register with the Federal government.

      What if my agency does not have a website?

      If your agency does not have a website, leave the field blank.

      What if our website is a page within the county/city website?

      You should provide the direct link to the transit webpage and not the main page for the county/city.


      What are Vehicles Operated in Maximum Service?

      This is the largest number of vehicles you operated in this mode at any point during the year — in other words, the number operating at peak service during the busiest average day of the year. Days of special service aren't factored into the VOMS count. It also does not include spares and will typically be smaller than your total fleet size.

      My agency uses Automatic Passenger Counters (APCs). Do we need to do anything in order to use that data to report to the NTD?

      Before an agency can use any APC data to report to the NTD, the FTA must approve the APCs. Appendix C of the NTD Policy Manual explains the APC certification process. To submit an APC certification request, the agency should send the request to their Validation Analyst.

      Do I report charter service?

      Although charter service is not considered public transportation, you must report charter hours if you performed charter service. Report charter hours on a separate line on the S-10 form and do not include charter service in the other totals.

      How do I report deviated fixed route service?

      Agencies must report all deviated fixed route services as Motorbus (MB).

      Do I include the attendant who rides with and assists my passengers with disabilities in my Unlinked Passenger Trip (UPT) total?

      For demand response (DR) and demand response-taxi (DT) modes, transit agencies must include personal care attendants and companions in UPT counts as long as they are not employees of the transit agency. This includes attendants and companions that ride fare-free.


      My agency is participating in my State DOT's group Transit Asset Management (TAM) plan. How do I indicate this on my NTD report?

      During the Report Year Kickoff, you will be able to select your agency's TAM sponsor. If you have already completed the Report Year Kickoff but did not select a sponsor and need to, please contact your NTD analyst, and they will help you.

      What are the requirements for Voluntary Reporters for the new expanded asset inventory module?

      Voluntary Reporters must complete the NTD report in its entirety. With the expanded asset inventory, Voluntary Reporters should provide inventory data for the A-15, A-35, A-20, etc., as applicable. If a Voluntary Reporter has capital responsibility for a fleet, they must report the Useful Life Benchmark of that fleet on the A-30 and A-35. They are not required to report A-90 targets, condition assessments for facilities, or performance restrictions for track.

      My agency has buses that have exceeded their ULB and are inactive, but we have not disposed of them yet. Do we still include the old buses in the Performance Measure targets for the vehicle type?

      No, you should only include active vehicles in your Performance Measures targets.

      My agency owns a facility funded with §5307 funds; however, another agency uses this facility for revenue service. Are we responsible for reporting this facility even if we do not operate public transit service?

      Yes, as a beneficiary of §5307 funds, you must report on this facility. You should report as a Reduced Asset Reporter.

      What are the requirements for agencies that provide purchased transportation? Are we required to complete the new asset forms?

      Asset inventory requirements apply to both directly operated and purchased transportation modes. You must report inventory as in previous years. With the new A-15 and A-35 forms, you will report based on current requirements. If your agency has capital responsibility for service vehicles and administrative and maintenance facilities, you must report them. You must also report all passenger facilities, regardless of capital responsibility.

      How should I report bus parking lots or storage lots for revenue vehicles?

      These lots are not reportable to the NTD asset inventory. You only report passenger facilities, including parking lots and structures.

      Should I report a structure with 4 walls but no closing doors, ticket counters or dispensers, information counter, etc., as a passenger station?

      No, the shelter is not reportable. Its purpose is to provide shelter, not station services. Please see station criteria in the NTD Policy Manual for further guidance.

      I don't see the mode that my facility is used for under "Primary Mode" on the A-15 form. How can I add that mode?

      By default, you will only see the modes your agency operates in the Primary Mode drop-down menu. However, you may select "Mode Not Listed" from this menu to expand the list to all available modes in the NTD.

      My agency receives §5310 funds, but we only provide client- and center-based transit services. Do we report to the NTD as a Reduced Asset Reporter?

      No, client- and center-based transit services are not considered public transit services. You are not required to report to the NTD.

      We have capital responsibility for a bus barn: how do I report it on the A-15 form?

      You would report this facility as a General Purpose Maintenance Facility/Depot.

      We have rebuilt a vehicle. Should I update the funding type with the funding type that we used for the rebuild?

      No, the funding type does not change when a vehicle is rebuilt.

      Should I report radio towers with small buildings attached or in the surrounding area as facilities on the A-15 form?

      No, you do not need to inventory structures such as towers or breaker houses.

      How do I report a service fleet as retired on the A-35 form?

      If Total Vehicles for a service fleet is "0," the A-35 form will give you the option to mark a fleet as retired. This functionality is like the existing retiring protocol on the A-30 Revenue Vehicle Inventory form.

      How do I report supervisor vehicles?

      If your agency has capital responsibility for these supervisor vehicles, you report them on the A-35 Service Vehicle Inventory form.

      Should I report employee parking lots adjacent to administrative or maintenance facilities separately on the A-15 form?

      No, non-passenger parking facilities are considered part of the facility site, so you include them in the condition assessment of the facility.

      Should I report both Linear Miles and Track Miles on the A-20 form?

      No, you do not need to report both; you may report either Linear Miles or Track Miles.

      My agency has many entries for the new asset forms. Is there a faster way to enter this data other than entering each facility or fleet individually?

      Yes, all asset forms have an import/export function. This function allows you to bulk upload facility and fleet data.

      How should I report a facility that my agency uses for both administration and maintenance?

      Report this facility as a Combined Admin/Maintenance Facility.

      We have a facility that has multiple uses, and none of the options in the drop-down menu apply. How should I report this facility?

      If the facility does not fit one of the options, please select Other Facility Type and enter a description of the facility or contact your analyst for guidance on how to classify the facility.

      The only administrative facility my agency uses for transit service consists of two offices in our city hall building. How should I report these offices?

      You are not required to report administrative offices that are in a building that only has incidental transit use.

      My agency has only completed 25% of our condition assessments for facilities. How do I indicate this on the A-15 form?

      For the Condition Assessment field, you will select "N/A" for facilities that do not yet have a condition assessment score.

      You must prorate a facility if your agency uses the facility for multiple modes or types of service. On your report, you will allocate the facility across the A-10 forms for the modes or types of service that use the facility. This does not apply to the A-15 form.

      We do not do any in-house maintenance. The vehicles are taken to a private company for servicing. Should I report anything?

      When an agency does not own or lease a maintenance facility, the agency reports "0" for maintenance facilities.

      I have fewer vehicles in my facility than its capacity. How do I report this facility size?

      Agencies should report facilities by their designed capacity.

      My agency is a subsidiary of a larger agency, and the larger agency owns the facility where our vehicles are maintained. Should I report this facility, even though my agency does not own it?

      Yes, you should report this facility as "Owned." In this case, the "Owned" indicates that a public agency owns the facility—not a specific NTD reporter.

      What is classified as a rebuild?

      A rebuild is the installation of new or rebuilt major components (such as engines, transmissions, body parts) and/or the structural restoration of revenue vehicles to extend its useful life.

      What if I have identical vehicles?

      If all the NTD characteristics for the vehicles are identical, you can group the vehicles into the same Revenue Vehicle Inventory ID (RVI ID).

      When should a vehicle fleet be deleted?

      A vehicle fleet should only be deleted if your agency added it in error.

      A vehicle considered inactive still ran service for part of the year. Is that service still counted on this form?

      No. The A-30 form does not collect mileage data for inactive vehicles. However, you should report that vehicle's Total Actual Miles and Total Revenue Miles in the service data.

      What are Total Miles on Active Vehicles During the Period?         

      This is the total number of miles (including revenue miles, deadhead miles, etc.) that all vehicles within that fleet (RVI ID) traveled within the report period. To calculate Total Miles on Active Vehicles During the Period, for each vehicle in the fleet subtract the prior year's ending odometer reading from this year's ending odometer reading. For RVI IDs with more than one vehicle, add these calculations together to determine the Total Miles on Active Vehicles During the Period for that fleet.

      What are Average Lifetime Miles?           

      Average Lifetime Miles are the average cumulative miles on a fleet of vehicles. To calculate this, average this fiscal year's ending odometer readings for the vehicles in that specific RVI ID (fleet).

      When is a vehicle considered inactive? Is it still reported?            

      A vehicle is inactive if it is not used for revenue service on the last day of the fiscal year. Even if the vehicle is inactive, you will still report it on the A-30 form; however, you will reduce the number of Total Active Vehicles for that fleet.

      Agencies do not report Miles This Year or Average Lifetime Miles for vehicles marked inactive. Agencies do still report the energy consumption for those vehicles as this data point is compared to the service data reported on the S-10 or RR-20 form."

      How do I report a body-on-chassis or cutaway vehicle?  

      For cutaway vehicles, you report the manufacturer and model of the body added to the chassis. You should not report the manufacturer and model of the chassis.


      How do I determine my demographic information?

      Service area is the square miles and population to which your service is available. This is not the same as the UZA(s) you operate in.

      ADA legislation requires that your service area include at least 3/4 of a mile on each side of your fixed route service. Service area also includes a blanket map of where all demand response/deviated route service is available. Most demographic information is readily available from the metropolitan planning organization in the region.

      What is the purpose of the B-30?

      The B-30 form shows contractual relationships between agencies and contractors and details the financial aspects and the nature of the agreement.

      Do I add all of my modes on the B-30 form?

      You only add the modes that the contractor operates on your behalf.

      What if I switched contractors during my report year?

      You complete B-30 forms for both contractors that provided your service during the year, and you indicate the number of months each contractor operated.

      How do I report a mode filing separately?

      You add modes filing separate reports at the bottom of the B-10 form, in the section titled "Modes Filing a Separate NTD Report." Do not add these modes to your agency's profile on the P-20 form.

      Do I need separate B-30s for one contractor providing multiple modes of service?

      No, one B-30 form can show more than one mode of service provided by a single contractor. For these hybrid contracts, in the "Primary Feature" section of the B-30 form, you should select the item that describes the part of the contract that provides the majority of funding.

      How do I add a subrecipient?

      >Click on the "Records" tab.

      >Select "NTD Report Packages."

      >Select the appropriate report package (in most cases this is the State reporting package for the fiscal year — for example, FY 20XX State Reporting – State ID – State Agency Name).

      >Click on the "Related Actions" tab (under the heading).

      >Select "Add/Manage Subrecipients."

      Are services provided by agencies participating in local public transit-human services transportation plans eligible to be reported to the National Transit Database (NTD)?

      The NTD is a reporting system for collecting public transportation financial and operating information. The term public transportation is defined at 49 U.S.C. § 5302(14) and means regular, continuing shared-ride surface transportation services that are open to the general public or open to a segment of the general public defined by age, disability, or low income. 

      Federal transit law requires that projects selected for funding under the Enhanced Mobility for Individuals and Individuals with Disabilities (Section 5310) Program be included in a locally developed, coordinated public transit-human services transportation plan, and that the plan be developed and approved through a process that included participation by seniors, individuals with disabilities, representatives of public, private, and nonprofit transportation and human services providers and other members of the public utilizing transportation services. These coordinated plans identify the transportation needs of individuals with disabilities, older adults, and people with low incomes, provide strategies for meeting these needs, and prioritize transportation services for funding and implementation.

      Some agencies that participate in a local human services transportation plan provide client-based transportation services — services that can be used only by its clients. These are not public transportation services because they are only open to a segment of the general public that is defined by being clients of the agencies and not, as required by the public transportation definition, a segment of the general public defined by age, disability, or low income. 

      Therefore, only agencies that provide public transportation are eligible to report financial and operating information to the NTD. Participation in a local human services coordination plan by itself is not a sufficient condition for reporting to the NTD. 


      I heard that NTD requires audits: what does this entail?

      There are two NTD audits. These audits should be completed prior to the closeout of your NTD report. Please see the requirements below: some agencies only have one audit requirement.

      Independent Auditor's Statement for Financial Data (IAS-FD)

      All Full Reporters must complete this audit during their first year reporting. This audit reviews the agency's financial system to ensure the agency is able to meet NTD requirements. Please note: Beginning in Fiscal Year 2018, FTA requires Full and Reduced Reporter agencies to complete this audit every ten years.

      Independent Auditor's Statement for Federal Funding Allocation Data (IAS-FFA)

      Agencies operating more than 100 vehicles across all modes and types of service in a UZA with a population greater than 200,000 must complete this audit each year. This audit reviews the agency's method of allocating apportionment-related data.

      We undergo an annual financial audit. Does this satisfy the audit requirement for Financial Data?

      No, it does not. NTD audit requirements are less intensive than those of annual audits your agency may be accustomed to. However, for the IAS-FD an auditor needs to certify that your agency has the ability to collect and report financial data in accordance with NTD requirements and the Uniform System of Accounts. You can find more information on the audit in the NTD Policy Manual.

      Federal Funding Allocation

      Where does the Data from Other Forms column get its data?

      VRM, VRH, PMT, and UPT are pulled directly from the service form (S-10 or RR-20). Operating Expenses are pulled directly from the financial form (F-30 or RR-20).

      How do I update data on the FFA-10 form when the UZA Reporting Method is Actual Vehicle Revenue Miles?

      To update data points under an agency's UZA(s) so that the Data from Other Forms column matches the Annual Total Column, you should report zeros on the VRM row, click on any white space in the form so that the other values also turn to zero, then re-enter the VRM values and click "Save and Validate."

      What is the purpose of the FFA-10?

      This form compiles all data required for Federal funding allocation into one location. The form reports service totals and operating expenses for each of the individual areas the agency serves — urban or rural. The data on this form are used in the appropriation of formula program funding.

      What fixed guideway data am I responsible for updating annually?

      If any of your agency's fixed guideway segment details change during the year, you must update the segment information on the P-40 form in the Agency Profile.


      There is a column for Funds Earned and Funds Expended: do these have to match?

      Funds Earned are only required to match Funds Expended for Federal Government Sources of Funds in the Funding Sources section.

      What if my agency operated on a deficit?

      If operating on a deficit, you will report more expenses than revenues. If you made up the difference using funds earned in a previous year, report funds expended greater than funds earned on the line corresponding to the original source of funds. If you borrowed against future revenues using a bond or loan, report the expenses on the line corresponding to the source you expect to use to repay the debt. More information on reported bonds/loans can be found in the NTD Policy Manual.

      Is there a threshold for what is considered capital?

      For NTD reporting, any purchase of $5,000 or greater with a useful life of > 1 year is considered capital. Agencies can use a capitalization threshold of less than $5,000 but not greater than $5,000.

      I received insurance recoveries/reimbursements during the year. How do I report these?

      As of Report Year 2018, your financial form includes a line to identify the amount of insurance proceeds your agency received.

      An issue was raised about "matching dollars." What are these and where should they be shown?

      When awarding a grant, Federal grant programs almost always require a local or State match. You report these matching dollars under the appropriate category of funds (Local Funds and/or State Funds).

      Where do I report CMAQ funds?

      If the CMAQ funds were "flexed" through the 5307 program, you report them as 5307 funds. If they were not, you report the funds as Other USDOT Funds.

      My agency uses Transportation Development Credits or Toll Credits as matching dollars. How are these reported?

      Beginning in Report Year 2018, your financial form includes a line to identify the amount of Transportation Development Credits or Toll Credits applied as matching funds.

      What makes a capital purchase an Expansion of Service?

      If the capital expense supports new service (for example, a new bus route or extended hours), it is an Expansion of Service. If you are replacing worn-out assets that support existing service or buying new assets to enhance existing service, this is not an Expansion of Service.

      I have a capital purchase that is used for more than one mode. How do I report that?

      If a capital purchase supports more than one mode or type of service, you report it by predominant use. Choose which mode the capital serves most and report the purchase under that mode.

      What does my F-20 form need to tie to?

      Total All Uses of Capital on the F-20 (bottom right) must equal Total Funds Expended on Capital During Period on the F-10.

      Where do I report schedulers and dispatchers on the F-30?

      You report salaries and fringe benefits for schedulers and dispatchers under Vehicle Operations.

      What are fully allocated costs?

      Fully allocated costs are the costs of providing the service itself and the indirect costs incurred by the agency for the oversight of the contract.

      It is inaccurate to report that the agency only bears the cost of service. The agency must report the cost of salaries and fringe benefits for transit agency employees who oversee the contract or work with the contractor. Providing an office with electricity, phone, internet, etc., for these employees is also an indirect cost of service. Note that if only a portion of an employee's time covers oversight of a contract, then you only apply that portion of the employee's salary and benefits. The same is true for office costs.

      What is the difference between "Operators' Salaries and Wages" and "Other Salaries and Wages"?

      Operators' Salaries and Wages include the salaries for employees who drive revenue vehicles. Other Salaries and Wages includes all other employees (such as dispatchers, janitors, accountants, and maintenance employees).

      What does my F-40 form need to tie to?

      "Total Expenses from Published Reports for Transit Operations–Funds Applied" on the F-40 must equal "Total Funds–Funds Expended on Operations" on the F-10 form.

      What is the Uniform System of Accounts?

      The Uniform System of Accounts (USOA) is the accounting system agencies must use to report to the NTD. It assigns categories to all costs commonly incurred by transit agencies. Updated USOA reporting requirements are effective beginning Fiscal Year 2018.

      What is the difference between Funds Applied and Funds Not Applied?

      Funds Applied refers to funds that your agency transferred to some other entity. For example, interest payments made to a bank are Funds Applied.

      Funds Not Applied refers to any expenditure that does not involve a transfer of money between the transit agency and another party and that is typically valued using accounting principles.  For example, you would report depreciation as Funds Not Applied.

      Is the "Other Assets" on my F-60 form meant to be the remainder of my assets?

      No, "Other Assets" refers only to the asset category defined by the Uniform System of Accounts (USOA), which is prepayments or assets not otherwise defined. This category should not include capital assets.

      I received Tribal Transit discretionary funds to purchase a vehicle. What funding type should I select?

      You would select Rural Area Formula Program (RAFP) – 5311 funds.

      Where do I report Title III-B Funds?

      You report these funds under "Other Federal Funds."

      How are losses on sales, impairments, and book write-offs reported?

      Losses on sales, impairments, and book write-offs are not reportable to the NTD as entries themselves. You can only report impairments due to a natural disaster (on the F-40 form, as "Extraordinary and Special Items"). Please note: although the entries themselves are not reportable, impairments and book write-offs are taken into account in the calculation of capital assets reported on the F-60 form.

      How do I allocate indirect costs among the modes we operate?

      The NTD does not specify how an agency must allocate indirect costs. Each agency is responsible for determining a methodology for cost allocation that is both reasonable and consistent.

      Safety and Security

      Can I view Safety & Security reports for our agency that were submitted to NTD in previous years?

      Yes, you can view reports from past years.  Click on the "Reports" menu selection. From the list of reports, click on "Historical S&S Form Lookup" and complete the four query boxes to select the data you choose to view.

      A passenger on one of our transit vehicles had a medically related injury (i.e., heart attack, seizure) and was removed from the scene by an ambulance.  Should I report this incident to NTD?

      No, you do not report illnesses or medical conditions, or injuries resulting from illnesses or medical conditions, that occur in transit vehicles or facilities.

      The local police force in our area responds to security events that occur in our transit system and on our vehicles, but I do not know the number of policemen who work on the police force. Do I have to estimate a number for local police force (non-contracted) on the S&S-30 form?

      No, this is the only category of security personnel on the S&S-30 form (Security Configuration) for which you do not estimate the number of personnel. Please enter a 0 (zero) in the "Number of Primary Security Personnel" and/or "Total Number of Security Personnel" boxes.

      A pedestrian was struck and injured by one of our trains that was running on a test line and not in revenue service.  Should I report this event to NTD?

      Yes, report this accident as a "Collision" on an S&S-40 form (Major Event Report). Events meeting a reportable threshold are reportable to NTD once the project has entered the engineering and construction phase. Any event where a train makes contact with a person is automatically reportable regardless of whether the person was injured. 

      One of our transit vehicles was backing up and hit a car with its rear-end. How do I report the collision type for the transit vehicle?  (assumes a reporting threshold was met)

      In the "Other Vehicle Involved Information" section, under the "Collision Type" category, select “Other Rear Impact."

      I completed a Major Event Report (S&S-40) for the month. Do I have to complete a Non-Major Summary Report (S&S-50) for that month also?

      Yes. The S&S-50 (Non-Major Summary Report) captures monthly summary information (not details) on fires and other less severe safety events that are NOT reportable on the S&S-40 (Major Event Report).  You must complete one S&S-50 every month for each mode/TOS whether or not you have data to report and even if you submitted an S&S-40 for that month.

      On the Non-Major Summary Report form S&S-50, what does "Other in vehicle: Securement issue" mean?

      "Securement issue" refers to the securement (tying down) of mobility devices on a transit vehicle. If a mobility device breaks loose from its securement, and the occupant of the device and/or other passengers are injured, you would report this occurrence and these injuries as "Other in vehicle: Securement issue." However, if the occupant of a mobility device is injured due to a fall from their device that is not related to the securement of the mobility device, you would report this as an occurrence of "Other in vehicle: NOT a Securement issue."

      If a bus is deadheading and is involved in an accident that meets a threshold, is it reportable?

      Yes, this is a reportable event on the S&S-40 Major Event form. 

      What is a non-revenue facility?

      A non-revenue facility is a transit facility that is primarily staffed by transit employees and is NOT used to enable individuals to board or alight transit vehicles. Typically these are administration or maintenance facilities.

      We discovered we failed to report a major event that occurred three months ago. The Policy Manual states a reportable event should be filed no later than 30 days after the date of the event.  Should we still report this event?

      Yes, please report the event as soon as possible. You must submit a complete set of major event reports for the report year by the S&S-20 submission deadline. Agencies may not edit S&S-40 or S&S-50 data in NTD after the following calendar year has ended.

      We use a taxicab company to provide contracted demand response service for our agency (DT/PT). While providing service for our agency, one of the cabs was in a collision that meets a reportable threshold.  Do I report this taxi as a transit vehicle?

      Yes, since the taxi was providing transit services for your agency, you report it as a transit vehicle.

      Am I supposed to report minor collisions on the S&S-50 form (Non-Major Summary Report)?

      No, please report collisions that meet a reporting threshold on S&S-40 form only. Do not report collisions to NTD that do not meet a reporting threshold. For example, a bus strikes a utility pole and the mirror is broken off.  There are no fatalities, injuries, evacuation, tow-away, or property damage of $25,000 or greater, and therefore the collision is not reportable.

      I need to add another involved vehicle in a collision report I submitted. How do I add other vehicles to this report?

      Open the report and click on the “Jump to Other Involved” button, then click on the “Add vehicle” button. This will generate a section for you to report the type of vehicle, the vehicle action, and collision type. The blank form will be after the last existing vehicle. Click on “Next” until you see the blank form.

      When should I start reporting accidents or injuries for a new mode we are constructing?

      You should add the new mode and Commitment Date to the P-20 Profile form when the Engineering and Construction phase begins, if not before. The NTD online reporting tool will automatically generate S&S-30 and S&S-50 forms for the appropriate months in the Safety Reporting Package. To begin reporting, complete and submit the S&S-30 Security Configuration form for the new mode. This will enable S&S-50 report completion and S&S-40 report creation.

      Updated: Monday, September 10, 2018
      Submit Feedback >