Following FTA's final rule to strengthen state safety oversight of rail transit systems, which took effect in April 2016, states are required to ensure that State Safety Oversight Agencies (SSOAs):
- adopt and enforce federal and state safety laws
- have investigatory authority
- have financial and human resources for the number, size and complexity of the rail transit systems within their jurisdictions
- ensure that staff responsible for performing safety oversight activities have proper training and certification
- be legally and financially independent of the transit systems they oversee
SSOAs help rail transit agencies prevent and mitigate accidents and incidents on their systems. Read U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx's August 3, 2016 letters to governors in affected states encouraging them to come into compliance and provide the necessary state resources to deliver a higher level of safety for rail transit system riders and workers.
|Letters by state/territory:|