Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The world is experiencing an expanding outbreak of respiratory illness caused by COVID-19. FTA encourages transit agencies to be informed and prepared.
American Rescue Plan Act of 2021
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, which President Biden signed on March 11, 2021, includes $30.5 billion in Federal funding to support the nation’s public transportation systems as they continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and support the President’s call to vaccinate the U.S. population.
Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021
The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 (CRRSAA) includes $900 billion in supplemental appropriations for COVID-19 relief, $14 billion of which will be allocated to support the transit industry during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CRRSAA became law on December 27, 2020. Learn more.
Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
On Friday, March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was signed into law. FTA is allocating $25 billion to recipients of urbanized area and rural area formula funds.
For assistance with COVID-19 related questions, please contact your designated FTA Regional Program Manager.
- Increasing Vaccine Confidence Among Transit Workers Webinar (May 17, 2021)
- Transit’s Role in COVID-19 Vaccination National Peer Exchange (March 26, 2021)
- Mask Up Toolkit
- Federal Mask Requirement for Transit
- Federal Mask Requirement Frequently Asked Questions (USDOT)
- COVID-19 Recovery Practices in Transit (As of October 2021)
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Discussion Forum
- FTA COVID-19 Recovery Listening Sessions
- FTA/HUD COVID-19 Partnership for COVID-19 Recovery
- FTA COVID-19 Resource Tool (As of October 8, 2021)
- COVID-19 Funding, Civil Rights, Administrative Relief and Other Requirements
Drug and Alcohol Program
- USDOT COVID-19 Drug & Alcohol Testing Statement of Enforcement Discretion for Substance Abuse Professionals and Service Agents (April 4, 2020)
- USDOT Guidance on Compliance with DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations (March 23, 2020)
- Public Transportation Safety Certification Training Program (PTSCTP) Notice of Enforcement Discretion (December 2020)
- Safety Advisory 20-01: Recommended Actions to Reduce the Risk of COVID-19 Among Transit Employees and Passengers
Press Releases, Blogs & Announcements
- U.S. Department of Transportation Launches "Mask Up" Campaign (03-19-2021)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Additional Administrative Relief for Transit Agencies During COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (12-11-2020)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Announces $25 Billion Funding Allocation to Help Nation’s Public Transportation Systems Respond to COVID-19 (4-2-2020)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Deadline Extension for Federal Transit Administration Competitive Grant Programs (3-27-2020)
- Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao's Comments with Transit Stakeholders (3-26-2020)
- Making Public Transit Safer During the COVID-19 Outbreak blog by Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao (3-18-2020)
- U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Increased Flexibility to Help Transit Agencies Respond to Coronavirus (3-13-2020)
Other Federal Resources
- CDC Resources for Transit Employees
- Transit Workers Vaccine Confidence Toolkit
- How to Build Transit Workers' Confidence in COVID-19 Vaccines
- Public Health Considerations for Reopening Mass Transit During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- CDC Activities and Initiatives Supporting the COVID-19 Response and the President’s Plan for Opening America Up Again
- CDC Communications Resources
- What Bus Transit Operators Need to Know About COVID-19
- What Rail Transit Operators Need to Know About COVID-19
- What Transit Maintenance Workers Need to Know About COVID-19
- What Transit Station Workers Need to Know About COVID-19
- Cleaning and Disinfection for Non-emergency Transport Vehicles
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) landing page
- Transportation Security Administration
- Department of the Treasury
- Coronavirus Economic Relief for Transportation Services (CERTS) Program, which was created to support transportation service providers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, including intercity bus providers.