FTA invites your nominations of rural transit systems to be considered for the FTA Administrator’s Award for Outstanding Public Service in Rural Public Transportation. The awards will be presented during the 23rd National Conference on Rural Public and Intercity Bus Transportation in Breckenridge, Colorado, September 30 - October 3, 2018. The 2018 conference theme is Changing Lives, Strengthening Communities.
FTA will base this year’s awards around a modification of that theme -- Changing Lives and Strengthening Communities by Creating Value and Enhancing Infrastructure -- to recognize rural transit providers that demonstrate how their transit system is integral to the infrastructure of the community.
Any local, rural transit provider receiving assistance under Section 5311 may be nominated for the award. FTA will accept self-nominations, but encourages letters of support from the state transit association and/or state Department of Transportation. Nominations will be based on rural transit providers that demonstrate how their transit system is integral to the infrastructure of the community.
Award recipients will be expected to attend the national conference, where they will be honored and will have an opportunity to share the secrets of their success with other conference attendees.
The nomination must include the following information:
- System’s formal name, operating name (if different), address, contact person, and phone number
- Identification of the person who will represent the system at the rural conference (name, title, address, phone number, fax, email)
- Brief (not to exceed 2 pages) background information about the system (for example: history, service area and operating characteristic, fleet size, operating statistics, annual budget and Section 5311 funding)
- Brief (not to exceed 2 pages) description of the accomplishments deserving national recognition. Nominations must directly address the following:
- Demonstrate how the service provides access to education, employment and healthcare; veterans services or other important communities
- Demonstrate how the service has improved efficiency and/or is achieving efficiency through innovative practices; and
- Demonstrate how the service is fostering financial partnerships and supporting coordinated planning among state and local governments (the public sector or other stakeholders).
Letters of support and marketing materials may be attached.
By noon ET Friday, June 29, 2018, provide your nomination and supporting material to Tony Cho, Director, Office of Program Management & Oversight, with AWARD NOMINATION in the subject line.
The regional office will make recommendations to headquarters. Upon receipt, the FTA Awards committee will review the nominations and make final recommendations to the Administrator. Award recipients will be notified prior to the conference and should plan to attend.